Thursday, November 29, 2012

Gobble Gobble

El Día de Acción de Gracias

The day of the action of thanks, sounds better in English right? My first Thanksgiving abroad was great, I actually had two.  The entire week of, I gave lessons about the American holiday.  By lessons, I mean we made hand turkeys and talked about food.  I tried my best to explain our traditions (without confusing them about the history) but I'm pretty sure they know it as the American holiday where everyone eats turkey.  Which is correct!  What more can you say other than you gather with your loved ones, eat too much, watch football and then fall asleep. 



My impressive turkey
 
Thanksgivirg Tarkey (one of the students)
My teacher friends and I all gathered to eat traditional American food.  I'd say we did a pretty good job for being so far away from home.  However, some ingredients were difficult to find.  For example, I made an Apple Crisp...without brown sugar.  I couldn't find any ANYWHERE! I ended up buying raw sugar cane and mixing it with honey to create a similar consistency.  I also had to eyeball all of the ingredients because we don't have American measuring cups.  Surprisingly, it was a hit!
 

My apple crisp



Buffet style
Mashed potatoes
 

Stuffing

Appetizers, Spanish style
 


The cute decor at Thanksgiving #2
 

a
Thanksgiving #2
Everything looks delicious, right? It was :) It was also great to reunite with friends who live in other cities nearby.  I took the day off on the following Friday and did some sight seeing with my friend Teresa. We saw a little bit of the city Merida and then we went to Salamanca for the weekend. The city of Merida is known for its ancient Roman ruins (this is the land of the conquistadors) and Salamanca is known for it's prestigious university. I'll be filling you in soon :) Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment