Wednesday, December 12, 2012

¡Feliz Navidad!

Christmas is here!! I'm happy to be living in a country that celebrates Christmas as much as we do :) I assume that every town has lights like these ones below.  These are pictures I've taken myself of all of the lovely decor. 
 
This is the giant department store across the street from my apartment
 
A carnival also across the street- it plays Disney music all night

The clock tower with a big Christmas tree
 
The town hall
 

 
My friend Melinda and I in a sleigh :)
 

 

 
A Christmas market
 
A snowman in my school that is made out of plastic cups- cute
 
A poster that I have in my room
 
Yummy cookies that are popular this time of year- but not so healthy
 
I will be spending this Christmas with my mom in Andalucia (the south). We have plans to visit the cities of Malaga, Seville and Granada. Although it will be weird not to be home with my family in Iowa, I'm excited to have this once in a lifetime experience in Spain with my mom.  Since we will be in Spain for Christmas and New Years, I decided to look into the holiday traditions around here.  I found some very interesting ones.

When I was in Barcelona, I saw these "Christmas logs" everywhere in the markets.  I had no idea what the point of them was or if they had a story behind them.  I took a photo anyways and decided to research it later. You will never believe what they really are!

Can you guess what these are called?

............."Poo sticks"..........I kid you not, they are literally called "the cagas tíos". According to the article I read, it is a popular tradition in Catalonia (Barcelona and other regions in the North).  The logs are given to the children on December 8th and they are to "take care" of the log until Christmas Eve.  Apparently, they are suppose to cover it with blankets and feed it to make sure it's "well".  After dinner on Christmas Eve, the kids are given sticks to beat the log in order to make sweets and presents appear.  During all this they are to sing traditional songs to encourage the log to produce these presents. 

WHAT!? That is so strange.  If you don't believe me, check out this whole article about these traditions in Spain
 
I can promise you that I will not be taking part in this Catalan tradition however, I plan on doing the next tradition. Eating 12 grapes at midnight!

adamandhaleykjar.blogspot.comShare
On Nochevieja (old night) aka New Years Eve, it's a tradition to eat 12 grapes at every chime of midnight.  Each grape (if eaten) brings you good luck for the 12 months to come during the New Year.  I've heard that eating these grapes is harder than you think!  My mom and I will have to try this out, maybe with small and seedless grapes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment