Monday, December 3, 2012

American humor

One of the hardest thing to do in another language is to be funny.  Even if you can speak in Spanish, jokes are often hard to translate.  Sometimes it's just more comfortable to be with other Americans because we get each other's humor.  I've learned through my travels that it's important to be proud of America and being American, but it's also important to be able to laugh at the things Americans do.  Let's face it, we are an entirely different culture, we do things that don't make sense sometimes.  Can I explain everything? No. Sometimes all I can say is, "That's just what we do".   I've done presentations on Halloween and Thanksgiving so far here in Spain.  Now that Christmas is approaching, I'm putting together my next presentation.  While searching for traditions on youtube, I discovered this hilarious YouTube clip that made me laugh out loud for minutes. 

 
If I didn't think it was important to explain the historical reasons behind our holidays to children, I would just play this youtube video...but of course, they wouldn't understand it.  Maybe that's a good thing :)
 

Another thing that you can do only with Americans is laugh about each other's states and their stereotypes.  This video was sent to me by my Irish friend and once again, I was laughing through the entire thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment