Thursday, January 10, 2013

Afterglobe

Afterglobe; The warm, fuzzy feeling one gets after a long immensely satisfying trip (lonelyplanet.com)

I've never heard of this word but I'm going to go ahead and steal it for sake of how I feel right now. For a while I was posting every 4 days, so if you are wondering why I've been so quiet its because I've been having the most amazing time of my life in Andalucia, Spain. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to write about every trip, every moment, or about all of the cities I went to but I'm definitely going to share some of the highlights.  

My Christmas break started December 21 and just ended on January 8.  Talk about a vacation!  I was lucky to have my mom come to Spain to celebrate Christmas with me.  She flew into Malaga, a city on the southern coast of Spain, on December 24.  I had arrived to Malaga the day before to get a grasp of the city and to check in to our hotel.  Since I was by myself, I decided to do a free walking tour to get to know the city and kill time before her flight came in.  As with every free walking tour, I learned an impressive amount of history about Spain and the city of Malaga.  I also learned that they receive 330 days of sunshine there, which proved to be true throughout our entire trip. 

I had been planning this vacation since October.  I put a lot of thought into where my mom and I should visit, what we should do, how to do it, in what order...thats just the OCD in me to try to perfect the entire thing.  It turned out to be better that I had ever imagined.  We had so much fun, laughed so much, took millions of pictures, saw amazing sites and monuments...overall it was awesome.

 In 16 days, I stayed in a total of 7 different hostels/hotels, went to 8 cities, and visited 2 countries (Gibraltar is the UK).  My favorite may be the day when my mom and I woke up in Malaga for breakfast, had lunch in Gibraltar (the UK), saw monkeys and Africa in the distance, then had dinner in Seville.  We rented a car in order to have the comfort and convenience to travel around Andalucia.  Our longest trip was only 5 hours (Badajoz to Granada).

One leg of our road trip; Badajoz-Sevilla-Granada


Day 1: Christmas Eve in Malaga

The view from our hotel room in Malaga for Christmas

Day 2: Christmas in Malaga

On Christmas Day we walked around Malaga & up to a hotel roof top for this beautiful view

Day 3: Lunch in Gibraltar, Dinner in Seville

They could care less about tourists!
The apes of Gibraltar- a must see!

 

Day 4: Walking tour in Sevilla, Flamenco show at night
Us posing in the Plaza de Espana in Sevilla


Day 5: Lunch in Badajoz, relaxing night at my apartment


Home-made paella.  We had an amazing lunch with my teacher and her family


Day 6: Shopping in Badajoz, another night at my apartment
I showed Mom around the bar scene of Badajoz


Day 7: Drive to Granada with a beautiful view of the Sierra Nevada mountains

On the fortress of the Alhambra, Sierra Nevadas in the background

Day 8: We visited La Alhambra and celebrated New Years by eating 12 grapes at midnight (it's good luck)


Day 9: New Years in Spain- drive back to Malaga
Sunset in Malaga


Day 10: Dinner with Kate, Tara, and Mom in Malaga
Mom and I on the boardwalk in Malaga

Day 11: Mom flies out :((((

Day 12: Day trip to Nerja and the caves of Nerja
Tara, Kate, and I in the caves of Nerja

Day 13: Day trip to Ronda to see the famous bridge and gorge
Kate and I in Ronda


Day 14: Last day in Malaga, Sevilla for the night
You can find a Christmas tree like this in every city in Spain


Day 15: Relaxing day in Sevilla, back to Badajoz at night
Mom and I in Sevilla days earlier


Day 16: Finally back to my apartment, time to unwind :)


As you can see, we squeezed a lot into two weeks.  I wouldn't change a thing about the trip! More pictures to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment